Five additional conferences scheduled around the state
GREEN BAY – The 2018 Northeast Wisconsin Woodland Owners Conference is scheduled for January 27 at the Northeast Wisconsin Technical College in Green Bay. The conference will focus on topics of interest to private woodland owners. Registrations are due by January 24. Forest landowners and all those interested in forest management are welcome to attend.
“Private woodland owners hold the largest portion of forestland in Wisconsin,” said Scott Lyon, forest products specialist with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. “Conferences like these are important to encourage the sharing of ideas so they can help collectively shape the future of Wisconsin’s landscape. The decisions made today impact the quality of resources for future generations.”
The Department of Natural Resources is a supporting partner of the conference and DNR staff will be presenting on a variety of topics.
Linda Williams, DNR forest health specialist for northeastern Wisconsin, will present “Forest Health Update/EAB Concerns.” Linda works with foresters and landowners to diagnose forest health problems from insect and disease issues to abiotic issues like weather and storm damage.
Greg Edge, DNR forest ecologist/silviculturist, will present “EAB and the Private Woodland Owner – What You Need to Know.” He has been involved in the development of “Wisconsin’s Forest Management Guidelines for Emerald Ash Borer” and in the creation of a stand assessment/decision tool for field foresters writing silvicultural prescriptions for lowland ash stands.
Scott Lyon, DNR forest products specialist located in Green Bay, will present “Ash Wood Markets – Impact of EAB on Wisconsin’s Wood Industry.” Lyon provides assistance to support and grow Wisconsin’s forest products industry.
Steve Kaufman, DNR forester covering Brown County, Outagamie County, and Navarino Wildlife Area, will talk about “Log-a-Load Event for Kids.”
For more information and to register for the conference, go to glacierlandrcd.org, under events, or call Glacierland RC&D at 920-465-3006. Conference registration will be $15 per person.
DNR foresters are assisting with these additional regional woodland owner conferences during the coming weeks:
- February 3 – Fox Valley Winter Landowners Conference at La Sure’s Hall, 3125 S. Washburn St., Oshkosh (DNR contact: Tom Vanden Elzen, 920-424-3056)
- February 3 – SE Wisconsin Woodland Owners Conference at Waukesha County Technical College in Pewaukee (DNR contact: Julie Peltier, 262-670-3404)
- February 10 – North Central Winter Woodland Owners Conference at Westwood Conference Center, 1800 Westwood Center Blvd., Wausau (DNR contact: Chad Keranen,715-359-3950)
- February 17 – Madison Area Woodland Owners Conference at the American Family Insurance Training Headquarters in Madison (DNR contact: Sadie Brown, 608-275-3313)
- March 3 – West Central Winter Woodland Owners Conference at UW-River Falls, University Center – Riverview Ballroom (DNR contact: Keith Krajewski, 715-839-3782)